Cystic Kidney and Liver Disease Biobank
The Molecular Genetics and Biomarker Core runs the Cystic Kidney and Liver Disease Biobank. This biobank collects tissue samples from patients who have undergone nephrectomy and partial liver resection as valuable reagents for understanding the pathogenesis of polycystic kidney disease (PKD).
Tissue samples for the biobank come mainly from Mayo Clinic patients, but collection from patients of other institutions is possible.
- The core is contacted about an upcoming surgery, and the patient signs consent forms to participate in research.
- Samples are collected at the time of the patient's nephrectomy and partial liver resection.
- Samples collected include frozen tissue, cells for culturing and fixed material.
- Cyst fluid is collected from patients with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease (ARPKD) undergoing cyst drainage.
- PKD1 and PKD2 mutation screening is performed on the samples.
Email us for more information about the Cystic Kidney and Liver Disease Biobank.