As the first integrated, multispecialty group practice in the world and the No. 1 hospital in the United States, according to the 2017-2018 U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals list, Mayo Clinic offers you the opportunity to train in a highly supportive and collaborative environment that fosters the highest standard of medical care.
Mayo Clinic established one of the world's first formalized physician training programs in 1915. Since that time, the Internal Medicine Residency has had a long track record of transforming great medical students into outstanding physicians, educators and scientists:
- 99 percent or higher three-year, 10-year and 20-year American Board of Internal Medicine pass rate
- Robust primary care experience, including:
- Longitudinal care for local residents (population 144,000)
- Diverse local communities (35 percent minority enrollment in Rochester public schools
- Large underserved populations, including immigrants and refugees
- Outpatient consultative practice of referred patients
- Strong academic productivity with an average of 4.7 peer-reviewed publications per resident (national average 0.6)
- Excellent fellowship match (96 percent match into one of their top three program choices)
- Three-year longitudinal educator development program
- Opportunity to participate in a Mayo International Health Program elective
- A top five internal medicine residency program in U.S. News & World Report rankings
The primary goal of the Mayo Clinic Internal Medicine Residency is to provide you with the training, resources and experience to thrive in any of the disciplines that are open to well-trained internists.
We train leaders in internal medicine who are setting new standards in patient care and scientific investigation. We take particular pride in preparing you to be agents of change who, through inquiry or practice improvement, are prepared to advance the science and create the health care system of the future.
Many are attracted to our program because of the emphasis placed on preparing you to be educators of your patients and your peers within the health care community. You will find many opportunities by virtue of your training at Mayo Clinic.
The Internal Medicine Residency has been fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) with a 10-year accreditation cycle (the maximum).
July 04, 2018