As dean of Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education, I take great pride in working to ensure the education of skilled, compassionate medical and research professionals who deliver safe, high-quality patient care.
This work is accomplished by a dedicated team of associate deans, program directors, faculty, program coordinators, office staff and administrators who work together to continuously improve and expand our programs.
Our goals are clear:
- To ensure the needs of every patient are best served
- To help each resident and fellow achieve her or his goal to become a highly competent, well-trained clinician or scientist — or both
- To provide a comprehensive graduate medical education infrastructure to promote excellence and innovation
These goals are best achieved in a supportive environment in which learners are respected as valued members of the health care team.
Several distinct features set Mayo Clinic apart from other academic medical centers:
- The focus on the needs of the patient in all aspects of education, research and patient care
- The importance placed on educating a new generation of physicians
- The friendly, collegial team atmosphere among faculty, trainees and other health professionals
- The opportunity to learn and practice medicine with the best in the world
- The opportunity to conduct research in an environment where it can be directly translated to patient care
- The excitement of working with others who are striving to do their best today — and to do even better tomorrow
As the school's dean, I build on the rich educational legacy begun by the Mayo brothers more than 150 years ago. Welcome — and thank you for advancing your training and career through graduate medical education at Mayo Clinic.
- Steven H. Rose, M.D.
- Dean, Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science
Aug. 01, 2014