If you want to be a part of the outstanding advancement in today's biomedical research, work with world-renowned faculty and leaders, and participate in research that has a direct impact on 21st century patient care, consider the Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (MPET) Ph.D. track at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, for your graduate training.
Why consider MPET?
Molecular pharmacology and experimental therapeutics is an exciting discipline that prepares you for success in today's biomedical research environment. The most successful biomedical scientists integrate across various disciplines to devise and answer important questions that enhance the understanding of biology and impact the treatment of disease.
Our MPET program provides exactly that integration by training students to use biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, cell biology and genomics to develop new therapeutic approaches to treat human diseases.
What distinguishes MPET?
Numerous factors should be taken into account when considering a graduate program.
Just a few distinguishing characteristics that make the MPET Ph.D. track at Mayo Clinic exceptional include:
- Your research can make a difference in patient care. MPET students participate in a broad spectrum of research in the most advanced areas, providing them with opportunities to perform basic research and participate in the translation of research findings into the clinical setting. Notably, we have many examples of students' research findings leading to new clinical trials or directly affecting patient care.
- Passionate mentors, colleagues and friends. MPET faculty mentors are passionate about teaching. They are committed to training graduate students in the classroom and the laboratory while engaging students in cutting-edge research programs, and are dedicated to supporting the lifelong success of their students.
- Opportunities to publish. MPET students at Mayo Clinic have published numerous highly cited articles. Students who earn a Ph.D. or an M.D.-Ph.D. average more than six published articles each.
- Small class size and high faculty-to-student ratio. With an average class size of only 26 students, graduate education in the MPET Ph.D. track fosters relationships and supports student growth and development.
- Basic science and clinical research. Daily, MPET students have opportunities to interact with world-class scientific investigators in facilities supported by the most advanced technologies available.
- Access to vast clinical and research resources of Mayo Clinic and its extensive health care system. Mayo's MPET program is arguably without peers in terms of the easy access students have to a wealth of intellectual, technological and biological research resources.
- Student successes. Upon completion of their Ph.D. training, Mayo's MPET students advance to top-notch residency and postdoctoral positions at the most prestigious research institutions, including Stanford, Baylor, University of Virginia, Johns Hopkins, Harvard, the National Cancer Institute and Memorial Sloan Kettering. Many former students are now principal investigators in academia or industry, including at Emory, Louisiana State, Mayo Clinic, University of Minnesota, Amgen and AstraZeneca.
I ask you to consider the MPET Ph.D. track and experience a unique, innovative and exceptional training opportunity that will best prepare you for an exciting, productive and rewarding career in biomedical science.
- Richard Weinshilboum, M.D.
- Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics Program Director
- Professor of Medicine and Pharmacology
Oct. 14, 2015