"There are two objects of medical education: To heal the sick, and to advance the science." — Dr. Charles H. Mayo (1865-1939)
The Mayo brothers were deeply committed to advancing the science of medicine through biomedical research. As early as 1915, Mayo Clinic began preparing candidates for master's and Ph.D. degrees in biomedical sciences, with the first Ph.D. degree in biochemistry awarded in 1917.
Early degrees were granted through an affiliation with the University of Minnesota, which ended in 1983 when Mayo Clinic became an independent degree-granting institution accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a commission member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
The Mayo Clinic Medical Scientist Training Program, which is offered in collaboration with Mayo Clinic School of Medicine, was established in 1986 as an M.D.-Ph.D. training program. In 1989, Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences began independently conferring master's and Ph.D. degrees.
Over the years, Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences has expanded its footprint beyond Rochester, Minnesota, to include Mayo Clinic's campuses in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, and Jacksonville, Florida.
In addition, the school has created exceptional research experiences for diverse learners through three research programs:
Dec. 12, 2014