The clinical and research interests of Francisco C. Ramirez, M.D., are centered on gastroenterology, with an emphasis on screening for gastrointestinal diseases using innovative methods, including novel technologies for colonoscopy. Dr. Ramirez is also interested in diagnosis, treatment and outcomes for esophageal diseases, including eosinophilic esophagitis and esophageal cancer.
- Improved colonoscopy technologies. Research involves trials of state-of-the-art colonoscopy methods, such as the water method, that may improve diagnosis of colon cancer while reducing discomfort and risk during screening.
- Esophageal diseases. An additional area of focus is improving diagnosis and treatment of Barrett's esophagus and eosinophilic esophagitis.
Significance to patient care
Through his research, Dr. Ramirez hopes to improve outcomes for patients with gastrointestinal cancers, especially colon cancer and esophageal cancer, by providing earlier, more accurate diagnosis and more effective methods of treatment.
- Program director, Gastroenterology Fellowship (Arizona), Mayo Clinic, 2012-present
- Fellow, American Gastroenterological Association, 2009-present
- Individual Award for Service Excellence, Mayo Clinic, 2013
- Abstract award, Digestive Disease Week annual meeting, 2011
- Performance award, Department of Veterans Affairs, 2008