Dr. Martin studies ways to reduce the risk of preventable harm to patients during surgical procedures. His research involves measuring processes and outcomes related to improving the quality and safety of anesthesia and sedation.
- Reducing risk of injury during anesthesia
- Keeping patients appropriately warm during surgery
- Improving communication among anesthesia and surgical teams
- Decreasing side effects associated with pain therapies
Significance to Patient Care
The aphorism "to err is human" remains true even in health care. We are creating systems that catch human error before it hurts patients.
- Editor-in-Chief, Patient Safety Editorial Board; American Society of Anesthesiologists, 2007-present.
- Treasurer, Minnesota Society of Anesthesiologists, 2010-present.