The research of Michael J. Link, M.D., complements his clinical focus on the neurosurgical treatment of skull base tumors, especially acoustic neuromas and other benign and malignant tumors of the anterior, lateral and posterior skull base.
Dr. Link is particularly interested in outcomes research, including quality-of-life analysis and functional outcomes after treatment of complex skull base tumors and functional disorders such as trigeminal neuralgia and hemifacial spasm. He is also engaged in clinical outcomes research using Gamma Knife stereotactic radiosurgery to treat a variety of skull base tumors, and especially acoustic neuromas.
- Quality-of-life analysis in acoustic neuromas. Dr. Link, along with his colleagues in the Department of Otorhinolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery, collaborated with associates in Bergen, Norway, to provide an analysis of long-term quality of life in patients after observation, radiosurgery or microsurgery.
- Prospective quality-of-life analysis. Dr. Link is one of the principal investigators for a prospective 10-year quality-of-life study enrolling patients with acoustic neuromas. The study is in conjunction with the Acoustic Neuroma Association.
- Gamma Knife radiosurgery. Dr. Link was the principal investigator of a Mayo Clinic study aimed at long-term hearing preservation for patients undergoing Gamma Knife stereotactic radiosurgery.
- Blood vessel malformation. Dr. Link is contributing to the development of a prospective registry of people with abnormal blood vessels in their brains (cavernous malformation).
Significance to patient care
Dr. Link's overall research goal is to develop the safest and most effective treatments for people with brain tumors or nervous system disorders.
- Executive committee member (2007-present), president (2014-2015), president-elect (2013-2014), and vice-president (2012-2013), North American Skull Base Society
- Director, Skull Base Dissection Laboratory, Department of Neurologic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, 1999-present
- Executive committee member and skull base liaison, AANS/CNS Section on Tumors, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 2013-2015
- Medical advisory board member and co-chair, Acoustic Neuroma Association, 2008-2015