The care of critically ill patients in the intensive care unit (ICU) is the focus of my clinical work and of my research endeavors. Prognostic scoring systems have been developed to determine the severity of illness of patients in the ICU. These predictive models are used to assess the quality of ICU care, to evaluate the effect of novel therapies or protocols, and for optimization of resource use. My research aims to improve the predictive ability of ICU scoring systems, to validate and customize them for specific groups of ICU patients, and to develop a system to be used when major regional or national events place a strain on ICU resources. I collaborate with colleagues at Mayo in the Division of Critical Care and Respiratory Therapy, Department of Anesthesiology and the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Department of Medicine.
My second research track is directed at studying, and hopefully improving, the care of patients undergoing liver transplantation. I specifically focus on critical care issues in liver transplantation.
See my publications
- Consultant, Division of Intensive Care and Respiratory Care, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Mayo Clinic Rochester
- Professor of Anesthesiology
- MSc - Clinical Research Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science
- Fellow - Critical Care Anesthesiology Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Chief Resident - Anesthesiology Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Resident - Anesthesiology Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Internship/Residency - Internal Medicine Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Senior House Officer - Anesthesia MANCH Hospital Group, Dublin, Ireland
- Resident - Medicine Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
- Internship - Medicine and Surgery St. James Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
- BA - As part of Medicine Undergradutate Curriculum University of Dublin, Trinity College
- MB BCh/BAO - Medicine; Graduated with Honors University of Dublin, Trinity College