The main research interests of Patricio Escalante, M.D., are tuberculosis (TB) and mycobacterial infections. He also collaborates on other projects such as sleep-related breathing disorders clinical research.
- TB immunodiagnostics
- Mycobacterial infections translational research
Significance to patient care
TB affects large numbers of minorities in the U.S. and underserved populations around the world. Dr. Escalante's research team is testing and validating novel immune methods that accurately detect the latent form of TB, which is the most common form of TB and the most challenging to diagnose.
His team's research work is innovative because it has the potential to identify specific immune markers of latent TB infection with state-of-the-art laboratory methods. The research is significant because it is expected to advance the immunodiagnostic field in latent TB infection, translate into improvement in patient selection for treatment and change practice, and ultimately enhance control of TB in the community and improve minority health and global health.
- Member, Guidelines Oversight Committee (formerly the Health and Science Policy Committee), American College of Chest Physicians, 2008-present
- Member, Olmsted County Tuberculosis Clinic Group, 2008-present
- Young Investigator Award, American College of Chest Physicians, 2002
- Young Investigator Award, American College of Chest Physicians, 1998
- Outstanding Presentation for Clinical Research Award, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, 1997
See my publications
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MS Program in Clinical and Biomedical Investigations, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California
- Fellow - Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, and Sleep Disorders Baylor College of Medicine
- Resident - Internal Medicine Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan
- Rotating Internship - Internal Medicine Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan
- Rotating Internship Navy Medical Center, Lima, Peru
- MD School of Medicine, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia
- BM School of Medicine, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia