Alan B. Carr, D.M.D., is interested in oral health-systemic health interactions. This embodies an understanding of how an individual Mayo Clinic patient's oral health-related findings may impact overall disease prevention and management.
Given that Mayo Clinic is the optimum environment to creatively seek tangible oral health ramifications for medical outcomes, Dr. Carr and his colleagues seek to identify the burden associated with oral infections and inflammatory conditions on:
- Various chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes and respiratory disease
- Preterm low-weight births
- Surgical outcomes in general
Significance to patient care
Given the prevalence and costs associated with chronic disease management, any improvement in outcome(s) created by addressing oral disease prevention and early management in specific patient groups could be significant.
See my publications
- Dental Specialties
- Professor of Dentistry
- MS - Biomedical Sciences - Prosthodontics Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Resident - Prosthodontic Residency - Certificate Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Resident - General Practice - Certificate Barksdale A.F.B., USAF Hospital
- DMD School of Dentistry, University of Mississippi
- BS - Biology University of Southern Mississippi