The research activities of Sean M. Caples, D.O., focus on sleep-disordered breathing, particularly cardiovascular manifestations of the sleep apnea syndromes and clinical trials to measure the effects of various treatment modalities.
- Atrial fibrillation and sleep apnea. Dr. Caples is studying the link between atrial fibrillation and sleep apnea and exploring whether treatment of sleep apnea affects the natural history of this common heart rhythm problem.
- Non-CPAP treatments of sleep apnea. Dr. Caples has studied the effects of non-CPAP treatments on outcomes in patients with sleep apnea.
Significance to patient care
Dr. Caples is interested in better understanding the relationship between sleep apnea syndromes and cardiovascular disease in order to advance treatment of both conditions.
- Member, Positive Airway Pressure Guideline Task Force, American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM), 2013-present
- Chair, Task Force on Surgical Modifications of the Upper Airway for the Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea, AASM, 2010
- Co-chair, Revised Sleep Scoring Manual Cardiac Task Force, AASM, 2007