Sophie J. Bakri, M.D., is a specialist in diseases and surgery of the retina and vitreous, in particular, age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, venous occlusive disease and repair of complex retinal detachments. She undertakes both clinical and translational research in the pathogenesis and treatment of retinal diseases.
- Clinical trials in retinal diseases focusing on pharmacotherapy for age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and venous occlusive disease
- Pharmacokinetics and tissue dynamics of intravitreal medications
- Outcomes of pharmacotherapy in retinal disease
Significance to patient care
The goal of Dr. Bakri's research is to understand how and why individuals differ in their responses to medications that treat retinal disease. Through her work on drug pharmacokinetics and tissue dynamics, she is contributing to a better understanding of the effects that these drugs have on tissues. This research will help in understanding and mitigating drug side effects in patients, as well as selecting optimal drug delivery routes.
- Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2011
- Honor Award, The American Society of Retina Specialists, 2012
- Top Doctor, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., 2012
- Elected, Becker's Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) Review, 135 Leading Ophthalmologists in America, 2010