Levamisole and 5FU in Stage C colon cancer
The colon data set is used in D. Lin, Cox regression analysis of
multivariate failure time data,
the marginal approach, Statistics in Medicine 13:2233-2247, 1994.
This data is not exactly the same as in Lin's paper -- we have more follow-up.
One can get close to Lin's results by truncating follow-up on 15 Aug, 1989.
The Moertel paper discusses results from both stage B2 and stage C patients.
This data file contains only the stage C results.
Patients 1-929 are from the main trial, and the remainder from an older trial;
Lin uses only the larger study.
- Patient number
- 1 = Larger study (Moertel)
- 2 = Historical study (Laurie)
- Treatment: 1=Observation, 2=Levamisole, 3=5-FU + Levamisole
- Sex: 0=female, 1=male
- Date of registration
- Obstruction: 0=No, 1=Yes
- Perforation: 0=No, 1=Yes
- Adherence: 0=No, 1=Yes
- Number of positive nodes
- Date of progression
- Progression status: 0=No, 1=Yes
- Date of last contact or death
- Last status: 0 = alive, 1=dead
The remaining variables are only available for study 1
- First stratification factor
- 0 Treatment started 7-20 days post surgery
- 1 Treatment started 21-35 days post surgery
- Second stratification factor
- 0 1-4 lymph nodes involved
- 1 more than 4 involved lymph nodes
- Third stratification factor, invasion of local organs: 0, 1, or 2
- Location of primary neoplasm
- 1 Cecum
- 2 Right Colon
- 3 Hepatic flexure
- 4 Transverse colon
- 5 Splenic flexure
- 6 Left colon
- 7 Sigmoid colon
- 8 Rectosigmoid
- 9 Rectum
- 10 Multiple sites
- Histologic type
- 1 Adenocarcinoma
- 2 Colloid(mucinous)
- 3 Signet ring type
- 4 Other
- 1 Well
- 2 Moderate well (gr 2-3)
- 3 Poor (grade 4)
- Extent of local spread
- 1 Submucosa/not muscle
- 2 Muscular/not serosa
- 3 Serosa/not contiguous
- 4 Contiguous structures
- Regional Implants: 0=No, 1=Yes
- Pre-operative CEA level (missing for many patients)
- Date of tumor resection
- Date of start of treatment
sample SAS code to read the data
Reference: Moertel, et al, Levamisole and fluorouracil for adjucant therapy
colon carcinoma, NEJM 332: 352-58, 1990.
The historical data is from Laurie, et. al., J Clin Oncol, 1989,
vol 7, p 1447-56.