The Division of Biomedical Statistics and Informatics supports the Mayo Clinic research community. In addition to providing client services and research collaboration, members of the division are active in various institutional initiatives surrounding data acquisition and management.
Among others, the division is closely connected to the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center, Center for Clinical and Translational Science (CCaTS), Center for Individualized Medicine (CIM), Center for the Science of Health Care Delivery (CSHCD) and the Comprehensive Research Management System (CRMS).
The division consists of sections focusing on clinical statistics, cancer research, computational genomics, medical informatics, as well as a unit focusing on data management.
- Clinical statistics. This section collaborates with researchers across Mayo Clinic on more than 2,000 ongoing institutionally and nationally funded investigations, and supports a number of research programs, including the Rochester Epidemiology Project.
- Cancer center statistics. The emphasis is on the development, conduct and analysis of cancer clinical trials and other research generated by the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center and its affiliated programs, including the North Central Cancer Treatment Group.
- Computational genomics. This section collaborates with researchers focusing on genetic, genomic and proteomic data, and supports Mayo Clinic initiatives such as the Center for Individualized Medicine (CIM).
- Medical Informatics. This section focuses on applied informatics research on structured medical records. This section includes experts in medical natural language processing (NLP), data integration, retrieval query interpretation and information transforms.
- Data management services (DMS). This section shares data retrieval and management expertise with the research community, including collaboration on the Clinical Informatics Program in CSHCD, Clinical Trials Management System (CTMS) and Clinical Research Management System. DMS also houses a comprehensive surgical indexing group that provides coding services to Mayo investigators and fulfills regulatory reporting responsibilities.
The division provides institutional and national leadership for a number of programs: