A Phase II/III Randomized Trial of Two Doses of MK-3475 (SCH900475) Versus Docetaxel in Previously Treated Subjects With Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
Trial status: Open for Enrollment
Why is this study being done?
This study will compare two doses of pembrolizumab versus docetaxel in participants with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) who have experienced disease progression after platinum-containing systemic therapy. Participants will be assigned randomly to receive either Low Dose or High Dose pembrolizumab every three weeks (Q3W), or docetaxel at 75 mg/m^2 Q3W. This study will use an adaptive trial design so that the total number of participants randomized will depend upon demonstration of sufficient objective responses at interim analysis. If the pembrolizumab Low Dose arm is closed, participants may receive pembrolizumab High Dose therapy.
Who is eligible to participate?
- Life expectancy of at least 3 months
- Histologically- or cytologically-confirmed diagnosis of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) that is PD-L1 positive per central laboratory review
- At least one bi-dimensional measurable lesion
- Radiographic progression after treatment with at least 2 cycles of a platinum-containing doublet
- Currently participating or has participated in a study using an investigational antineoplastic agent or device within 30 days of first dose
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) Performance Status of 0 or 1
- Prior therapy with docetaxel for NSCLC
- Receiving systemic steroid therapy within three days prior to the first dose of study treatment or receiving any other form of immunosuppressive medication
- Expected to require any other form of systemic or localized antineoplastic therapy while on trial
- History of allogeneic tissue/solid organ transplant
- Prior systemic cytotoxic chemotherapy, antineoplastic biological therapy (e.g., cetuximab), major surgery within 3 weeks of the first dose of study drug; received thoracic radiation therapy of >30 Gray within 6 months of the first dose of study drug; received prior tyrosine kinase inhibitor therapy or completed palliative radiotherapy within 7 days of the first dose of study drug
- Prior therapy with an anti-programmed cell death (PD)-1, anti-PD-L1, anti-PD-L2, anti-tumor necrosis factor CD137, or anti-cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated antigen-4 (CTLA-4) antibody (including ipilimumab or any other antibody or drug specifically targeting T-cell co-stimulation or checkpoint pathways), or took part in another pembrolizumab trial
- Known history of prior malignancy, with the exception of basal cell carcinoma of the skin, superficial bladder cancer, squamous cell carcinoma of the skin, or in situ cervical cancer, and has undergone potentially curative therapy with no evidence of that disease recurrence for 5 years since initiation of that therapy
- Known active central nervous system (CNS) metastases and/or carcinomatous meningitis
- Active autoimmune disease, or a documented history of autoimmune disease, or a syndrome that requires systemic steroids or immunosuppressive agents
- Interstitial lung disease, or history of pneumonitis requiring systemic steroids for treatment
- Known history or active human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B, or hepatitis C
- Pregnant or breastfeeding, or expecting to conceive or father children within the projected duration of the trial through 120 days after last dose of pembrolizumab or 180 days after last dose of docetaxel