PPI Responsive Esophageal Eosinophilia: GERD or Eosinophilic Esophagitis?
Trial status: Open for Enrollment
Why is this study being done?
The investigators would like to determine if there are patients with PPI responsive Eosinophilic Esophagitis Infiltration that have significant loss of esophageal distensibility suggestive of esophageal fibrosis typical of classic Eosniophilic Esophagitis.
If this group of patients exists, the investigators would like to determine if they have the typical endoscopic features of EoE rather than those of GERD.
Who is eligible to participate?
- Age 18 or older
- Have either mild-to-moderate Los Angeles (LA) Classification System grade B, moderately severe LA grade C, or severe LA grade D erosive reflux esophagitis
- Or patients having a clinically indicated pH/impedance monitoring on proton pump inhibitor therapy for indications of gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Neoplasm of the esophagus or stomach
- Inability to read due to: Blindness, cognitive dysfunction, or English language illiteracy
- Disorders which predispose to unreliable responses such as Schizophrenia, Alzheimer's disease or significant memory loss