International Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Phase 3 Study of the Efficacy and Safety of KIACTA in Preventing Renal Function Decline in Patients With AA Amyloidosis
Trial status: Open for Enrollment
Why is this study being done?
The primary purpose of this study is to assess the efficacy and safety of treatment with Kiacta in adult patients with AA Amyloidosis.
Who is eligible to participate?
- females must be of nonchildbearing potential (more than 1 yr postmenopausal)or use effective contraception for at least 2 months prior to the baseline visit and through 30 days after the last dose of study medication
- confirmed diagnosis of AA amyloidosis demonstrated by positive biopsy using congo red staining and immunohistochemistry or immunoelectronmicroscopy. Mass spectroscopy will be used upon approval of the sponsor on a case to case basis.
- persistent proteinuria greater than 1 g/24h at 2 distinct 24-hr urine collections
- must have CrCl greater than 25 ml/min/1.73 m2 at 2 distinct 24 hr urine collections
- evidence or suspicion of chronic kidney disease secondary to a disease other than AA amyloidosis (eg, diabetes, long-standing uncontrolled hypertension, polycystic kidney disease, recurring polynephritis, or systemic lupus erythematosus)
- history of kidney transplantation
- evidence or suspicion of a cause of potentially reversible acute renal failure within 3 months prior to baseline visit
- presence of concomitant diseases or medication that could interfere with the interpretation of study results or compromise patient safety
- presence of condition that could reduce life expectancy to less than 2 yrs
- Type 1 or 2 diabetes mellitus
- significant hepatic enzyme elevation
- unstable angina, myocardial infarction, coronary artery bypass graft surgery, or percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty within 6 months prior to the baseline visit; presence of NY Heart Assoc class III or IV heart failure
- presence of, or history of stroke or transient ischemic attack within 6 months prior to baseline visit
- initiation of, or any changes in, angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor, angiotensin II receptor antagonist therapy, or renin inhibitor within 3 months prior to baseline visit
- initiation of, or any changes in, cytotoxic agents, anti-tumor necrosis factor agents, anti interleukin-1 or 6 agents, or colchicine therapy within 3 months prior to baseline visit
- previous use of Kiacta
- history of malignancy within 5 yrs prior to study entry, except for cervical carcinoma in situ, nonmelanomatous carcinoma of the skin, or ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast that has been surgically cured
- use of investigational drug within 30 days prior to the first screening visit
- active alcohol and/or drug abuse