Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Adult patients with VAD in place who are admitted to the hospital for acute medical illness during the study period.
- For those with multiple admissions during the study period only the first admission will be studied.
- Patients who are able to give consent.
- In case of patients that are mentally impaired we will obtain consent from power of attorney and when patients regain intact mental capacity we will reobtain consent from the patient.
- Patients on dialysis (hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis).