Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Adult patients with a body surface area ≥ 1.5 m2 who develop acute right heart failure or decompensation following left ventricular assist device implantation, myocardial infarction, heart transplant, or open-heart surgery.
- Disorders of the pulmonary artery wall that would preclude placement or correct positioning of the Impella RP® device
- Mechanical valves, severe valvular stenosis or valvular regurgitation of the tricuspid valve or pulmonary valve
- Mural thrombus of the right atrium or vena cava
- Anatomic conditions precluding insertion of the pump
- Other illnesses or therapy requirements precluding use of the pump
- Presence of a vena caval filter or caval interruption device, unless there is clear access from the femoral vein to the right atrium that is large enough to accommodate a 22 Fr catheter