Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- The study will enroll a total of 170 women consented for hysterectomy.
- One hundred and seventeen (117) will either have
- suspected ovarian cancer based on clinical impression, cytologic or histologic diagnoses (effusions, Pap tests or other biopsies), or
- suspected endometrial cancer based on biopsy diagnoses of atypical endometrial hyperplasia (or its equivalent endometrial intraepithelial neoplasia), endometrial intraepithelial carcinoma (i.e. in-situ/ early serous carcinoma) or carcinoma.
- Fifty-three (53) will be undergoing definitive treatment for benign conditions (uterine fibroids, benign appearing adnexal pathology and normal CA 125, pelvic floor dysfunction not to exceed grade 1 or 2 uterine descensus).
- Since the analyzed cancers do not occur in children, they will not be included in this study.
- Surgical candidates for recurrent disease
- Preoperative neoadjuvant chemotherapy or radiotherapy
- History of tubal ligation, salpingitis, or hysterectomy (ovarian cancer patients)
- Control patients who are less than 45 years of age.
- Patients receiving treatment for active endometriosis.
- Cervical stenosis recognized clinically by not accepting the Tao Brush
- Endometrial sampling within 5 days of anticipated surgery
- Prior history of endometrial ablation
- Patients with cervical cancer