Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
Key Inclusion Criteria:
- Diagnosis of bilateral idiopathic PD (H&Y ≥ 2) with a duration of PD ≥ 5 years.
- Persistent disabling Parkinson's disease symptoms or drug side effects (e.g., dyskinesias, motor fluctuations, or disabling "off" periods) despite optimal medical therapy.
- Able to understand the study requirements and the treatment procedures and provides written informed consent before any study-specific tests or procedures are performed.
Key Exclusion Criteria:
- Any intracranial abnormality or medical condition that would contraindicate DBS surgery.
- Have any significant psychiatric condition likely to compromise the subject's ability to comply with requirements of the study protocol
- Any other active implanted devices including neurostimulators and /or drug delivery pumps
- Any previous thalamotomy, pallidotomy or subjects who have undergone a DBS procedure.
- Have any significant medical condition that is likely to interfere with study procedures or likely to confound evaluation of study endpoints.
- A female who is breastfeeding or of child-bearing potential with a positive urine pregnancy test or not using adequate contraception.