Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Histologically confirmed primary cutaneous malignant melanoma
- 1-4mm Breslow depth
- Scheduled for sentinel lymph node biopsy as part of their standard surgical management
- Man or woman, age ≥ 18 years
- Women of childbearing potential
- must be using an adequate method of contraception to avoid pregnancy throughout the study and for up to 2 weeks after the study in such a manner that the risk of pregnancy is minimized
- includes any female who has experienced menarche and who has not undergone successful surgical sterilization (hysterectomy or bilateral oophorectomy) or is not postmenopausal.
- must have a negative pregnancy test prior to first receiving GM-CSF.
- Men must agree to use an adequate method of contraception throughout treatment and for at least 2 weeks after study drug is stopped
- All patients must be willing and able to give written informed consent.
- Clinical stage III or IV disease
- Autoimmune disease: Patients with a history of inflammatory bowel disease are excluded from this study as are patients with a history of immunologic disease, e.g,
- rheumatoid arthritis
- systemic lupus erythematosus
- autoimmune vasculitis
- motor neuropathy considered of autoimmune origin
- Any underlying medical conditions which, in the opinion of the investigator, will make the administration of GM-CSF hazardous or obscure the interpretation of adverse events; such as, psychological, familial, sociological or geographical conditions potentially hampering compliance with the study protocol and followup schedule
- Any vaccination therapy within 4 weeks prior to GM-CSF administration
- Concomitant therapy with any of the following within the past 3 months: GM-CSF, interferon, other non-study immunotherapy regimes; cytotoxic chemotherapy
- Immunosuppressive mediations (steroids, tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-inhibitors, azathioprine, etc.) within the past 6 weeks
- Active or chronic infection with HIV, hepatitis B or hepatitis C
- WOCBP who are unwilling or unable to use an acceptable method to avoid pregnancy for the entire study period and 2 weeks after cessation of the study drug.
- Prisoners or subjects who are compulsorily detained