Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
Healthy sedentary adults aged 18-30 or 65-80 years of all ethnicities will be eligible. Pregnant women, children, prisoners or other at risk populations will not be recruited.
- Age 18-30 years or 65-80 years
- Body mass index (BMI) >31 kg/m2
- Participation in structured exercise (>2 times per week for 30 minutes or longer)
- Cardiovascular, metabolic (type 2 diabetes, fasting plasma glucose at or above 110 mg/dL and untreated hypo- or hyperthyroidism) or renal disease
- Orthopedic problems that would keep them from being able to ride an exercise bicycle, lift weights or do a combination of these exercise
- Medications that are known to impact on mitochondrial function: Corticosteroids, opiates, benzodiazepines, tricyclic antidepressants, beta blockers, sulfonylureas, insulin, anticoagulants, barbiturates, insulin sensitizers, fibrates (PPAR gamma agonist)