Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Age 13-18, male or female, any race/ethnicity
- Treating clinician, patient, and family feel that pharmacotherapy is indicated as part of a comprehensive treatment plan.
- Major depressive episode diagnosis or bipolar disorder based on KSADS-PL semi-structured psychiatric interview with a severity criteria-40 or greater on Childhood Depression Rating Scale-Revised (CDRS-R)
- Ability to provide informed consent
- Inability to speak English
- Inability or lack of willingness to provide informed consent and assent.
- Axis I diagnoses: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Anorexia Nervosa, Schizophreniform, and Schizophrenia.
- Psychotropic medication change (including dosage) between screening & randomization visits.
- Patients who meet DSM 5 criteria for any significant current substance use disorder other than nicotine, caffeine, or cannabis. Must have at least early, partial or full, remission X 3 months
- Serious suicidal risk and/or in need of immediate hospitalization as judged by the investigator.
- Significant unstable medical condition.
- Anticipated inability to attend scheduled study visits.
- Patients who in the judgment of the Investigator may be unreliable or uncooperative with the evaluation procedure outlined in this protocol.
- Cytochrome (CYP) & serotonin transporter genomic testing within 5 years.