Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Diagnosis of postural tachycardia syndrome using the following criteria:
- Orthostatic heart rate increment greater than or equal to 30 beats per minute (bpm) within 5 minutes of head-up tilt.
- Symptoms of orthostatic intolerance. These include weakness, lightheadedness, blurred vision, nausea, palpitations, and difficulty with concentration and thinking.
- Both criteria must be fulfilled.
- Pregnant or lactating women
- Presence of failure of other organ systems or systemic illness that could affect autonomic function or the patient's ability to cooperate with the study
- Hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism
- Clinically significant coronary artery disease
- Medications that could interfere with autonomic testing
- Previous treatment with pyridostigmine for POTS. Patients must not have taken pyridostigmine in the past month