Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Idiopathic MN with diagnostic biopsy
- Female, must be post-menopausal, surgically sterile or practicing a medically approved method of contraception(no birth-control pill)
- Must be off prednisone or mycophenolate mofetil for >1 month and alkylating agents for >6 months.
- ACEi and/or ARB, for >3 months prior to randomization and adequate blood pressure (target BP <130/80 mmHg in >75% of the readings, but subjects with BP <140/80 mmHg in >75% of the readings will be eligible). Patients with documented evidence of >3 months treatment with maximal angiotensin II blockade, on an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor, and BP control (BP <140/80 mmHg in >75% of the readings) who remain with proteinuria >5g/24h may enter and be randomized to RTX/CSA without the need of the run-in/conservative phase of the study.
- Proteinuria >5g/24h on two 24-hour urine collection collected within 14 days of each other
- Estimated GFR ≥40 ml/min/1.73m2 while taking ACEi/ARB therapy OR quantified endogenous creatinine clearance >40 ml/min/1.73m2 based on a 24-hour urine collection.
- Presence of active infection or a secondary cause of MN (e.g. hepatitis B, SLE, medications, malignancies). Testing for HIV, Hepatitis B and C should have occurred <2 years prior to enrollment into the study.
- Type 1 or 2 diabetes mellitus: to exclude proteinuria secondary to diabetic nephropathy. Patients who have recent history of steroid induced diabetes but no evidence on renal biopsy performed within 6 months of entry into the study are eligible for enrollment.
- Pregnancy or breast feeding for safety reasons
- History of resistance to CSA (or other calcineurin inhibitors, e.g. tacrolimus), RTX or alkylating agents (e.g. Cytoxan). Patients who previously responded to CSA/CNI, RTX or alkylating agents with either a CR or PR but relapsed off CSA/CNI after 3 months or relapsed off RTX or alkylating agent after 6 months are eligible.