Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Age 18 years or older
- IV nicardipine can be initiated within 4.5 hours of symptom onset.
- Clinical signs consistent with the diagnosis of stroke, including impairment of language, motor function, cognition, and/or gaze, vision, or neglect.
- Total GCS score (aggregate of verbal, eye, and motor response scores) of 5 or greater at time of ED arrival.
- INR value < 1.5
- CT scan demonstrates intraparenchymal hematoma with manual hematoma volume measurement <60 cc.
- For subjects randomized prior to IV antihypertensive administration: SBP greater than 180 mmHg* prior to IV antihypertensive treatment (this includes pre-hospital treatment) AND WITHOUT spontaneous SBP reduction to below 180 mmHg at the time of randomization OR
- For subjects randomized after IV antihypertensive administration: SBP greater than 180 mmHg* prior to IV antihypertensive treatment (this includes pre-hospital treatment) AND WITHOUT SBP reduction to below 140 mmHg at the time of randomization.
- Informed consent obtained by subject, legally authorized representative, or next of kin.
- Note: Patients with SBP < 180mmHg should be monitored for 4.5 hours from symptom onset as their SBP may rise to eligible levels before the eligibility window closes.
- ICH is due to previously known neoplasms, AVM, or aneurysms.
- Intracerebral hematoma considered to be related to trauma.
- ICH located in infratentorial regions such as pons or cerebellum.
- IVH associated with intraparenchymal hemorrhage and blood completely fills one lateral ventricle or more than half of both ventricles.
- Patient to receive immediate surgical evacuation.
- Current pregnancy, or parturition within previous 30 days, or active lactation.
- Use of dabigatran within the last 48 hours.
- A platelet count less than 50,000mm3
- Known sensitivity to nicardipine.
- Pre-morbid disability requiring assistance in ambulation or activities of daily living.
- Subject's living will precludes aggressive ICU management.
- Subject is currently participating in another interventional clinical trial