Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- 18 years of age or greater.
- Agrees and able to participate in the study.
- Room air SpO2 (oxygen saturation) less than 92% and newly-diagnosed PE (or controls with no PE) based on CT angiogram result.
- Clinical concern for instability.
- Systolic blood pressure less than 100 mm Hg.
- Heart rate ≥140 beats per minute.
- Oxygen saturation less than 85% with more than 4 L supplemental oxygen.
- Unable to participate/comply with instructions for using the incentive spirometer.
- Patients from the Federal Medical Center in Rochester, Minnesota.
- Patients who do not speak English (due to the need for expediency).
Patients will be under the care of the Emergency Department team who have the skills and resources to monitor and treat patients if they were to become unstable.