Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- 60 healthy men (ages 60 to 80 y);
- BMI 18-30 kg/m2
- Community dwelling; and voluntarily consenting
- Recent use of psychotropic or neuroactive drugs (within five biological half-live);
- Obesity (outside weight range above);
- Laboratory test results not deemed physician acceptable, cholesterol >250, triglycerides > 300, BUN >30 or creatinine > 1.5 mg/dL, liver functions tests twice upper limit of normal, electrolyte abnormality, anemia; hemoglobin <12.0 gm/dL
- Drug or alcohol abuse, psychosis, depression, mania or severe anxiety;
- Acute or chronic organ-system disease;
- Endocrinopathy, other than primary thyroidal failure receiving replacement; untreated osteoporosis
- Nightshift work or recent transmeridian travel (exceeding 3 time zones within 7 days of admission);
- Acute weight change (loss or gain of > 2 kg in 6 weeks);
- Allergy to peanut oil (used in some injectable Te preparations)
- Unwillingness to provide written informed consent.
- PSA > 4.0 ng/mL
- History or suspicion of prostatic disease (elevated PSA, indeterminate nodule or mass, obstructive uropathy.
- History of carcinoma (excluding localized basal cell carcinoma removed or surgically treated with no recurrence.
- History of thrombotic arterial disease (stroke, TIA, MI, angina) or deep vein thrombophlebitis.
- History of CHF, cardiac arrhythmias, congential QT prolongation, and medications used to treat cardiac arrhythmias
- Gynecomastia > 2 cm, untreated
- Untreated gallbladder disease
- History of smoking greater than one ppd.