Effects of Calorie Restriction on Accumulation of Old, Modified Proteins in Abdominally Obese Adults
Trial status: Open for Enrollment
Why is this study being done?
This study is being done to understand the effects of calorie restriction and weight loss on muscle protein metabolism in adult men and women.
Who is eligible to participate?
- BMI will be between 30 kg/m2 - 38 kg/m2 and waist circumference for women ≥ 88 cm and men ≥ 104 cm
- Age 45 to 65 years.
- Male and Female
- Active coronary artery disease
- BMI < 30 kg/m2 Participation in structured exercise (>2 times per week for 30 minutes or longer)
- Medications known to affect muscle metabolism (beta blockers)
- Renal failure (serum creatinine > 1.5mg/dl)
- Chronic active liver disease (AST and ALT > 3 times normal)
- Fasting blood glucose > 126 mg/dl
- Anti-coagulant therapy (warfarin/heparin)