Closure of Muscular Ventricular Septal Defects (VSDs) With the AMPLATZER Muscular VSD (MuVSD) Occluder - Post Approval Study
Trial status: Open for Enrollment
Why is this study being done?
The AMPLATZER Muscular VSD Occluder was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in September, 2007. This study is designed to further evaluate the safety and effectiveness in subjects implanted with the AMPLATZER Muscular VSD Occluder.
Who is eligible to participate?
1. complex congenital muscular ventricular septal defects (VSD) of significant size to warrant closure. Subjects must meet at least one of the following:
1. Large volume left to right shunt (Qp/Qs >2:1),
2. Pulmonary hypertension (PA pressure >50% systemic) and/or
3. Clinical symptoms of congestive heart failure
2. Subjects must meet at least one of the following criteria to be considered high risk for standard transatrial or transarterial surgical closure based on anatomical conditions:
1. Left ventriculotomy or an extensive right ventriculotomy,
2. Failed previous VSD closure,
3. Multiple apical and/or anterior muscular VSDs ("Swiss Cheese Septum"), and/or
4. Posterior apical VSDs covered by trabeculae.
3. Subject/legally authorized representative has signed the informed consent
4. Subject/legally authorized representative is willing to complete the follow-up requirements of this study
1. Subjects with defects less than 4 mm distance from the semilunar (aortic and pulmonary) or atrioventricular valves (mitral and tricuspid)
2. Subjects with severely increased pulmonary vascular resistance above 7 woods units and a right-to-left shunt and documented irreversible pulmonary vascular disease
3. Subjects with perimembranous (close to the aortic valve) VSD
4. Subjects with post-infarction VSD
5. Subjects who weigh < 5.2 kg
6. Subjects with sepsis (local/generalized)
7. Subjects with active bacterial infections
8. Subjects with contraindications to anti-platelets