The resources available through the Mayo Clinic Biobank are intended to serve the needs of researchers both internal and external to Mayo Clinic. All researchers are encouraged to apply to use Mayo Clinic Biobank samples.
Types of samples collected
For all subjects:
- Three 10 mL EDTA tubes (for DNA, buffy coat, plasma)
- One 10 mL no additive (for serum)
- One 4.5 mL sodium citrate (for plasma)
For a subset of subjects (approximately 2,000):
- One 6 mL sodium heparin tube (for slow freezing)
Types of data collected
Access to samples or data
Review criteria and governance
This is a resource for researchers internal and external to Mayo Clinic. All researchers are encouraged to apply.
Applications are reviewed by the Biobank Access Committee based upon these criteria:
- Scientific excellence
- Alignment with institutional goals
- Potential to improve patient care
- Number of subjects and amount and type of sample requested
- Overlap with active projects
- Projects developed by members of divisions and departments from which patients were recruited
- Investigative team productivity; other projects (and outcomes) using the Mayo Clinic Biobank
- Research addresses a serious health problem (globally or nationally)
- Funding source
See the complete Biobank access principles.
Information for grant applications
For use in grant applications, see this description of the Biobank.
For more information about project fees, contact Mayo Clinic Bioservices at 855-298-0598 (toll-free).
Mayo Clinic Bioservices
Biospecimens and associated clinical information from the Mayo Clinic Biobank are available through Mayo Clinic Bioservices. Mayo Clinic Bioservices provides innovative biorepositories and state-of-the-art biospecimen processing and storage services.
In addition to providing access to biological specimens, Mayo Clinic Bioservices also provides a variety of laboratory and storage services through two laboratories.
The Biospecimens Accessioning and Processing Core laboratory provides specimen accessioning, processing, nucleic acid extraction, electronic biospecimen tracking, and storage and shipping services in a highly integrated core laboratory vital to basic, translational and epidemiological research. The Pathology Research Core laboratory offers histological and tissue-based services.
Mayo Clinic Bioservices also provides access to a number of analytic laboratory services, including sequencing, genotyping, expression, cytogenetics and proteomics, and to Mayo Clinic's Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA)-approved clinical laboratories through Mayo Medical Laboratories.