It is possible that individuals invited to participate in the Biobank will want to discuss the opportunity with their clinician before agreeing to participate. If you require further information about this project, please contact us.
What will be expected of participants now?
- Participants will be asked to fill out a questionnaire about their health, lifestyle and family history (PDF).
- Participants will give a sample of blood for long-term storage and analysis (which may include genetic analysis).
- Participants will be asked to allow Biobank staff to review Mayo Clinic past, present and future medical records.
What will be expected of participants in the future?
- Participants may be asked to fill out additional questionnaires.
- Participants may be asked to give an additional blood sample.
What will the Biobank give participants?
- Participants will receive a choice of one or more items worth a total of $20.
Will there be a cost to the participant?
- Participants will not need to pay for tests and procedures done just for the Biobank.
- Participants will need to pay for any tests or procedures done at Mayo Clinic for their own health care.
Will participants be contacted with results?
- For some research studies done using samples from the Biobank research results MAY be felt to have clinical significance. The Biobank Access Committee and Community Advisory Board along with expert medical advisors in the field of research being performed will determine whether results from such studies will be offered to participants. If results are offered, participants will be contacted by letter to offer these results along with appropriate counseling and re-testing through a CLIA-certified laboratory when relevant. There may be an expense involved in this process for the participant. Whether or not to receive the results will be the participant's choice.
Where can I find out more information?