Regenerative Medicine Therapeutic Suites
Bone Marrow Stem Cell Treatment (BMAC) for Knee Osteoarthritis
Shane A. Shapiro, M.D., discusses a regenerative medicine clinical research trial of bone marrow stem cell treatment (BMAC) to treat knee osteoarthritis.
The Center for Regenerative Medicine opened the first-of-its-kind Regenerative Medicine Therapeutic Suites on Mayo Clinic's campus in Jacksonville, Florida, in the fall of 2016.
The Regenerative Medicine Therapeutic Suites provide a patient-focused space that integrates clinical functions and a laboratory where each patient's own cells are processed for treatment. The suites build on Mayo Clinic's extensive research resources and clinical practice to deliver regenerative therapies for a variety of musculoskeletal injuries and conditions and for dermatologic applications.
Mayo Clinic's world-renowned clinicians have performed countless procedures utilizing the latest techniques and technology. In the procedures, a patient's own cells are processed in an adjacent lab, strictly in accordance with Food and Drug Administration requirements that regard cells as a type of drug.
Avascular Necrosis and Minimally Invasive Treatment Using Stem Cells
Courtney E. Sherman, M.D., discusses the death of bone tissue due to a lack of blood supply (avascular necrosis, also called osteonecrosis), how to treat it, the various stages and a new minimally invasive procedure using stem cells that are extracted from the patient's pelvis to regenerate bone.
The Regenerative Medicine Therapeutic Suites offer patients a number of personalized regenerative procedures:
- Bone marrow aspirate concentrate (BMAC) injections. BMAC is concentrated bone marrow. Bone marrow tissue is found inside the bones and contains stem cells and many other cells that help the healing process. In this procedure, a physician takes bone marrow from the iliac crest isolated on the back of the patient's pelvic bone. Local anesthetic is injected into the area and a specialized needle is inserted into the bone to extract the liquid bone marrow. The marrow is then centrifuged and injected into the target area.
- Platelet rich plasma (PRP) injections. PRP is made from the patient's own blood and is rich in growth factors and platelets that work to heal the body. Blood is collected and centrifuged to concentrate the platelets and remove white and red blood cells. The PRP is then injected into the target area.
- Stromal vascular fraction isolation. Stromal vascular fraction is made from fat (adipose) tissue that is collected via liposuction. Once collected, the adipose can be treated mechanically or chemically to free the cells from the tissue for research use. Stromal vascular fraction will be available for therapeutic use pending approval from the Food and Drug Administration.
- Adipose tissue microfragmentation. Microfragmented adipose tissue is made from adipose tissue that is collected via lipoaspiration. Once collected, the adipose tissue is microfractured and filtered, resulting in a final product that contains stem cells.
Mayo Clinic Minute: Stem Cells Reduce Pain of Knee Arthritis
Many people have painful and debilitating osteoarthritis of the knee. In a recent study, experts at Mayo Clinic tested the benefit of using bone marrow stem cells to reduce arthritic pain and disability.
The Mayo Clinic experience
Regenerative medicine research and practice at Mayo Clinic is like nowhere else. The Regenerative Therapeutic Suites provide dedicated space for regenerative medicine therapies in which the needs of the patient always come first.
- Research. Mayo Clinic has long been at the forefront of regenerative medicine research and discovery. Patients have access to state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment facilities and groundbreaking clinical trials. Mayo Clinic experts are constantly seeking new knowledge to improve therapies and outcomes across a variety of specialties.
- Collaborative care. The Regenerative Medicine Therapeutic Suites promote collaboration between world-renowned clinicians and researchers in one convenient location. Providers at Mayo Clinic practice as an integrated, multidisciplinary team of doctors and health care professionals to provide individualized care for each patient.
- Focused on you. Having Mayo's regenerative therapeutic expertise centered in a single place, focused on you, means that your care is organized by a dedicated team, your test results are available quickly, and your appointments are scheduled in coordination.
The medical team in the Regenerative Therapeutic Suites is made up of specialists in dermatology, orthopedic surgery, plastic and cosmetic surgery, and sports medicine: