Ovarian Cancer SPORE Grant Patient Advocacy Advisory Committee
The goals of the Patient Advocacy Advisory Committee in the Mayo Clinic Ovarian Cancer SPORE are to improve ovarian cancer survival and the quality of life through engaging researchers and advocates in dialogue that will contribute patient insights to the research programs of the SPORE. Advocates promote translational research objectives, seek to assist in removing barriers to translational research, and aid in providing information about ovarian cancer and ovarian cancer research to patients and the community.
Committee activities include:
- Participating in research and strategy discussions in order to provide patient focus on results, relevance, translational impact and a sense of urgency
- Participating in clinical trial protocol development and consent form review
- Providing advice and guidance on how to engage patients in research, including clinical trials and diverse patient groups
- Reviewing research progress reports, new proposals and surveys
- Providing input on patient information and communications regarding research and clinical trials
- Providing learning opportunities and focused outreach to enhance patient and community knowledge and information, including information about the Ovarian Cancer SPORE and the importance of research
- Contributing to a stronger relationship between the research-scientific community and the patient community
For more information about patient advocate opportunities, contact Karin M. Goodman, R.N., C.N.P., Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., at 507-266-2485.