Senior research project
The epidemiology and clinical spectrum of vertebral osteomyelitis in Olmsted County from 1998-2013: A population-based study
- Use of stance-control knee-ankle-foot orthoses in a patient with inclusion body myositis and falls. Poster presented at: Association of Academic Physiatrists; 2014.
- Thoracic myelopathy secondary to ossification of ligamentum flavum. Poster presented at: Association of Academic Physiatrists; 2014.
- Successful splanchnic nerve block after failed endoscopic ultrasound-guided celiac plexus block: A case series. Poster presented at: Mayo Clinic Young Investigators Research Symposium; 2014.
- The first documented sonographic diagnosis of iatrogenic ulnar nerve transection by peripheral nerve stimulator: A case report. Poster presented at: American Society of Regional Anesthesia; 2014.
- Smith GS, et al. Successful treatment of abdominal wall neuroma with ultrasound-guided steroid injection: A case report. Poster presented at: American Academy of Pain Medicine 31st Annual Meeting; National Harbor, Md.
- Smith GS, et al. Poliomyelitis, Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia, Polymyositis, Rhabdomyolysis, and Huntington's disease chapters. Buschbacher, RM. Neuromuscular. New York: Demos Medical Publishing; 2013.
Why physical medicine and rehabilitation at Mayo Clinic?
I knew from early on in medical school that I wanted to train at Mayo. I had several mentors throughout school in different disciplines who were alumni. There was something very special about the way they modeled care not only for their patients but for their colleagues and students as well. There really is no comparison to the care given to patients here!
I also helped spearhead some interdisciplinary changes in patient care at my medical school, and I appreciated the shared value placed on the team approach here at Mayo.
Another important factor in my decision is the unique strength in outpatient experiences, including use of musculoskeletal ultrasound in diagnosis and treatment. Graduates from this program really have all doors open to them in terms of outpatient, inpatient or combined/academic careers.
Finally, I also have a wife and three children, and there is no better place to raise a family than Rochester, Minnesota!
Personal interests and hobbies
- Reading, particularly history and biography
- Spending time with my family
Jan. 11, 2016