Held twice a year in the fall and the spring, it is a social activity that brings students together for fun in an informal setting. A meal, activities, and themes are included in the event.
This annual gathering of students and faculty from all MSHS programs is an inspirational and motivating experience. The shared convocation brings together the entire school to:
- Celebrate the successes of the school, its students and faculty
- Recognize outstanding faculty in the areas of education and service
- Reaffirm the school's mission and look to the future
- Enjoy the camaraderie and reinforce school spirit
Each MSHS program has its own graduation, as the programs vary in length. Each event is a time of great pride and joy as another group of Mayo students complete their training, accept the best wishes of faculty, family and friends, and enter their professions.
Students participate in the governance and continuous improvement of Mayo School of Health Sciences through many opportunities:
- Student representatives serve on the governing MSHS Education Committee.
- Many programs elect class representatives or officers.
- Students participate on the Enrollment and Student Financial Aid committees.
- Students are encouraged to participate in professional organizations representing their career field. (See Web links on the Career Overview pages.)
- MSHS sponsors trips to professional association meetings.
For a nominal fee, MSHS students in Rochester and their spouses may join Mayo's Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center. The DAHLC is a fitness center with two campus locations that offers a variety of exercise and training programs.
Social and Recreational Activities
MSHS students and their families join Mayo faculty and students in enjoying the social, recreational, cultural and educational activities sponsored by Mayo's Leisure and Lifestyle Activities Program and the Center for Humanities in Medicine Program. These events include sporting events, recreational classes, trips, parties, dances as well as concerts, plays and art shows.
The Mayo School of Health Sciences Alumni Association will help you stay in touch with your classmates and instructors and maintain valuable professional and personal relationships throughout your medical career.
Through the alumni association you'll:
- Stay abreast of news about your program and classmates
- Preserve relationships with those who share common experiences and goals
- Maintain a strong connection to Mayo Clinic
- Have the opportunity for continuing professional education
- Discover ways to positively influence the next generation of health science professionals
The alumni magazine, Connections, is published every fall and spring with a special graduation issue and mailed free of charge to alumni, students, faculty and friends of MSHS. The publication reports on alumni accomplishments and informs readers about newsworthy activities at Mayo Clinic. A balance of educational and informative articles is provided to enhance your professional and personal life.