The Social Work Internship is offered as a three-month practicum in the summer, 18 weeks in the fall and spring or 8 months beginning in September. Your training will take place at Mayo Clinic and the two campuses of Mayo Clinic Hospital, Methodist Campus and Saint Marys Campus.
The internship includes interaction with many Mayo Clinic patient care staff, including medical social workers, nurses, physicians, other allied health care professionals and administrators.
As a social work intern, you:
- Conduct psychosocial assessments and clinical interventions that include psychosocial diagnosis, treatment and follow-up
- Participate in patient care management and discharge planning
- Make referrals to community resources
- Provide patient and family education
- Coordinate support groups
You are assigned a field instructor who is a staff member with two or more years of clinical experience. Your field instructor supervises your clinical assignments. A master's-level social worker coordinates the program and supervises the field instructors and students. The coordinator is also the liaison to each resident's academic institution.
During the internship, you participate in:
- Patient care rounds
- Multidisciplinary patient care team conferences
- Staff and committee meetings
- Program and policy development and implementation
- Weekly seminars with the senior social work staff
Grading or evaluation
Mayo School of Health Sciences uses evaluative tools that include:
- Demonstration of skills
- Self-assessment exercises
- Faculty reviews
Mayo's system of evaluation provides students and faculty with a comprehensive look at individual performance. This allows faculty and administrative staff to direct students who are experiencing academic difficulty to the appropriate support resources, including tutoring programs and counseling opportunities.
Mayo School of Health Sciences is committed to developing and maintaining the best education programs. The curriculum and other aspects of this program are assessed constantly and changed as necessary to ensure the highest quality training.