Up to 28 candidates are accepted on a competitive basis each calendar year for the Social Work Internship. The number and location of internship positions may vary based on availability of Mayo Clinic faculty. Candidates may begin their training in the spring, summer or fall semesters.
How to apply
Your application should be received by Jan. 15 for summer semester, April 15 for fall semester and Sept. 15 for spring semester.
There are two steps to apply to the internship. Contact the program director for information prior to initiating the application process to ensure your application is considered for the appropriate program track and practice location.
- Online application. Complete the online Lite Application. After you sign in to the ApplyYourself tool, select Lite Application.
- Supporting documentation. Submit these materials:
- Current resume or CV with a cover letter including a statement of your professional goals
- A letter from the faculty member of your school of social work that is responsible for field placements indicating the school's approval and support of this placement for you
Send the required materials listed above in one envelope to:
- Social Work
- Mayo School of Health Sciences
Siebens Building, Fifth Floor
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
- Interviews. The selection committee carefully reviews each application. Individuals considered for an appointment may be invited to interview with the program director and selected faculty. An interview can be arranged only when you have completed steps one and two and your application file is complete.
- Acceptance. When appointment notifications are sent, your reply is requested within one week. Your appointment to the program depends upon successful completion of the health review and background check.