Social Work Internship (Minnesota)
Mayo School of Health Sciences in Rochester, Minn., offers a 12-, 18- or 32-week internship for graduate social work students. This internship provides in-depth clinical knowledge and skills that enable practitioners to deliver comprehensive social services in both clinical and hospital settings.
The Social Work Internship provides the high-quality didactic and clinical experiences needed to create a well-rounded, fully competent social worker.
At Mayo Clinic, you:
- Learn at an internationally renowned medical center that includes a large designated cancer center, organ transplantation program and psychiatric hospital
- Work with Mayo Clinic physicians, social workers and other allied health professionals as a respected member of the patient care team
- Serve a large, diverse patient population with common and uncommon medical conditions
As a Mayo Clinic social work intern, you evaluate and intervene with patients and their families who are experiencing chronic, acute and terminal illnesses. Social workers are part of the interdisciplinary teams throughout the vast Mayo campus, which includes medical, surgical and psychiatric settings.
Through individual and group work, you may provide clinical services related to organ transplantation, cancer, AIDS, Alzheimer's disease and mental health, as well as advise family caregivers and assist with patient discharges.
Mission and vision
- Mission. The Social Work Internship will provide students with an excellent social work internship experience while they interact in a multidisciplinary team setting at Mayo Clinic.
- Vision. Pioneering cutting-edge social work education.
See accreditation information for Mayo Clinic College of Medicine.
The education site for this internship is Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., an internationally respected medical center. Patients travel to Mayo from throughout the nation and the world. This diverse patient population provides the opportunity to refine your clinical social services skills.
The Mayo Clinic campus in Rochester includes an extensive outpatient complex, Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester, and substantial research and education facilities.
This Mayo Clinic site is among the largest, most advanced medical centers in the world.
Graduation and certification
Upon successful completion of the Social Work Internship, you receive a certificate of completion from Mayo School of Health Sciences and join the school's alumni.
Hours may vary and are based upon program length.
Each year, Mayo School of Health Sciences admits two to 10 residents to its Social Work Internship. This ensures that students receive one-on-one instruction and a comprehensive educational experience.