Learning experiences allow the intern to:
- Conduct psychosocial assessments and clinical interventions that include psychosocial diagnosis, treatment and follow-up
- Participate in patient case management and discharge planning
- Make referrals to community resources
- Provide patient and family education
- Facilitate support groups
- Become proficient in utilization review
Interns are assigned a field instructor who is a Mayo staff member with two or more years of clinical experience. Your field instructor supervises your clinical assignments. A master's-level social worker coordinates the internship and supervises the field instructors and students. The coordinator is also the liaison to each intern's academic institution.
During the Social Work Internship, you participate in:
- Patient care rounds
- Multidisciplinary patient care team conferences
- Staff and committee meetings
- Program and policy development and implementation
- Supervision with field instructor and other staff
- Training and education activities
Grading or evaluation
Mayo School of Health Sciences' evaluation for this internship consists of meeting with your university's practicum liaison to complete their formal evaluation process.
Mayo School of Health Sciences is committed to developing and maintaining the best education programs. The curriculum and other aspects of this program are assessed constantly and changed as necessary to ensure the highest quality training.