As a social work intern, you will:
- Conduct psychosocial assessments and clinical interventions that include psychosocial diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.
- Participate in patient care management and discharge planning.
- Make referrals to community resources.
- Provide patient and family education.
- Coordinate support groups.
You will be assigned a field instructor who is a staff member with two or more years of clinical experience. Your field instructor will supervise your clinical assignments. A master's level social worker coordinates the program and supervises the field instructors and students. The coordinator also is the liaison to each intern's academic institution.
During the Social Work Internship, you will participate in:
- Patient-care rounds
- Multidisciplinary patient care team conferences
- Staff and committee meetings
- Program and policy development and implementation
- Weekly seminars with the senior social work staff
Grading or evaluation
Mayo School of Health Sciences evaluation for this internship consists of meeting with your university's practicum liaison to complete their formal evaluation process.
Mayo School of Health Sciences is committed to developing and maintaining the best education programs. The curriculum and other aspects of this program are assessed constantly and changed as necessary to ensure the highest quality training.