As a physical therapy intern, you study and work on the Mayo Clinic campus in Rochester, Minnesota. The Physical Therapy Internship provides high-quality didactic and clinical experiences needed to become a competent therapist or therapist assistant.
Internships vary in length depending on the academic program's requirements. Most are eight weeks, but vary between eight and 12 weeks. Students may have the opportunity to complete a series of internships in various Mayo Clinic practice areas.
Mayo Clinic offers physical therapy internships in these practice areas:
- Inpatient acute care
- Acute inpatient neurological rehabilitation
- Hand Center
- Pain rehabilitation
- Sports Medicine Center
- Work Rehabilitation Center
- Rural outpatient
You gain experience in treating patients with special therapy needs, which may include:
- Acute care complex medical conditions
- Amputee rehabilitation
- Back-related symptoms evaluation and treatment
- Brain injury rehabilitation
- Cardiac care
- Musculoskeletal disorders, including shoulder and knee problems
- Neck pain evaluation and treatment
- Orthopedic trauma and general orthopedics
- Postmastectomy lymphedema management
- Rehabilitation of disabling neurological conditions
- Rehabilitation of neuromuscular disorders
- Spinal cord injury
- Sports injury rehabilitation
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Trunk or extremity bracing problems
- Vestibular rehabilitation
Over the course of the internship, you may participate in lectures, workshops, in-service training, case studies, field trips, Grand Rounds and informal discussions.
Grading or evaluation
Mayo School of Health Sciences uses evaluative tools that include:
- Written examination
- Demonstration of skills
- Self-assessment exercises
- Faculty reviews
Mayo's system of evaluation provides students and faculty with a comprehensive look at individual performance. This allows faculty and administrative staff to direct students who are experiencing academic difficulty to the appropriate support resources, including tutoring programs and counseling opportunities.
Mayo School of Health Sciences is committed to developing and maintaining the best education programs. The curriculum and other aspects of this program are assessed constantly and changed as necessary to ensure the highest quality training.