Department of Pharmacy
Mayo Clinic is the first and largest integrated, not-for-profit medical group practice in the world. Every year, more than 1.3 million people from all 50 states and nearly 150 countries come to Mayo Clinic, where the primary value is "the needs of the patient come first."
Mayo Clinic is consistently recognized on U.S. News & World Report's Best Hospitals list as one of the best hospitals in the nation.
With more than 34,000 employees, Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, is among the largest, most advanced medical centers in the world.
The Department of Pharmacy at Mayo Clinic employs nearly 500 individuals, including approximately 250 pharmacists, to provide comprehensive pharmaceutical services.
Pharmacy services provided include:
- Central pharmacy distribution
- Clinical pharmacy decision-support software
- Collaborative practice agreements
- Computerized intravenous admixture and unit dose dispensing
- Decentralized clinical pharmacy practice
- Drug information services
- Infusion therapy center
- In-service education and other scholarly activities
- Investigational drug studies
- Medication reconciliation and discharge huddles
- Medication therapy management and specialty clinic ambulatory care services
- Outpatient distribution
- Patient education programs
- Perpetual inventory control
- Pharmacist-led research and research support services
- Pharmacist-managed anticoagulation services
- Pharmacokinetic monitoring and management
- Pharmacy informatics and technology support
- Pharmacy, therapeutics and formulary committee support
- Sterile and nonsterile compounding
A broad range of pharmacy practice work areas are available at one of the world's pre-eminent medical institutions. Whether your interests lie in inpatient medication management and monitoring or outpatient services and consultation, you are afforded countless learning and teaching opportunities in a resource-rich environment.
Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester is composed of the Saint Marys Campus (1,265 beds) and Methodist Campus (794 beds). In the hospital environment, pharmacists work collaboratively with the interdisciplinary health care team to optimize patient outcomes.
Pharmacists, residents and students are longstanding, integral members of a team that continually advance the pharmacy profession. Pharmacists at Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester process nearly 11,000 computerized physician orders each day and document approximately 15,000 electronic medication-related interventions a month.
Mayo Clinic has a very large outpatient practice — more than 1.4 million visits each year — with care provided in virtually every specialty. Nearly 3,500 prescriptions are filled each day at Mayo Clinic outpatient pharmacies.
Pharmacists support this large practice through multiple pharmacy locations, including primary practice, hospital dismissal, a communication center and an automated processing center. Medication therapy management services in a variety of specialties are provided to optimize patients' regimens.