The Pharmacy Internship Hospital/Inpatient Program provides high-quality hospital experiences, including:
- Training in a unit dose or compounded sterile admixture at either Saint Marys Hospital or Rochester Methodist Hospital.
- Assignment to a pharmacist preceptor to act as a professional mentor.
- Preparing a presentation for staff pharmacists on a topic related to inpatient pharmacy
The Pharmacy Internship Clinic/Outpatient program provides a number of experiences related to the unique practice of each outpatient pharmacy located on the Mayo Clinic campus in Rochester. The program provides a variety of experiences, including:
- Providing patient counseling on medication
- Working with a pharmacist preceptor to gain hands-on experience with reviewing doctors' orders, entering orders and participating in pharmacists' interventions.
- Providing drug information to health care providers and medical writers
- Training in the pharmacy compounding department
- Preparing a presentation for staff pharmacists on a topic related to outpatient pharmacy
Both programs include mini-rotations of one to two days to acquaint you with specialty practices in the hospital or outpatient pharmacy. Available specialty practices to choose from may include:
- Cardiac surgery
- Critical care
- Drug information
- Medication Therapy Management
- Nutrition support
- Operating room
- Organ transplantation
- Patient education
As an outpatient pharmacy intern, you will attend lectures on topics listed in the Minnesota Board of Pharmacy Intern Competency Manual.
Mayo School of Health Sciences is committed to developing and maintaining the very best education programs. Changes may be made to the curriculum and other aspects of this program as necessary to assure the highest-quality training.