Pharmacy Internship (Minnesota)
The 10-week summer intern program at Mayo Clinic and Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester is a comprehensive, educational pharmacy internship that offers in-depth exposure to pharmaceutical services to help you further explore pharmacy as your future career.
Approximately 10 to 13 individuals are selected each summer for a salaried position in either the hospital/inpatient or clinic/outpatient practice setting.
The program is designed to allow interns to:
- Gain hands-on knowledge of pharmacy operations in either the inpatient or outpatient environment
- Experience the role of the clinical pharmacist through participation in mini-rotations throughout multiple specialty areas
- Apply and enhance knowledge gained in the academic setting
- Engage in activities, including journal club, with current residents
- Attend a professional development seminar series designed specifically for students
- Strengthen your presentation skills through the preparation of a formal presentation to your colleagues
- Shadow practicing pharmacists in areas of interest
See accreditation information for Mayo Clinic College of Medicine.
Pharmacists at Mayo Clinic provide direct patient care in virtually every specialty area and are actively involved in teaching and other scholarly activities. Our pharmacists come from diverse backgrounds and share numerous years of experience, clinical knowledge and research interests. You have direct access to these and many other mentors to optimize the learning experience.
More than 90 pharmacists at Mayo Clinic are certified by the Board of Pharmacy Specialties in various practice areas. Over 100 pharmacists serve as preceptors for our PGY- 1 and PGY-2 residency programs.
Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, is divided between outpatient and inpatient facilities. The extensive outpatient facilities are part of Mayo Clinic. Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester includes the Saint Marys Campus (1,157 beds) and Methodist Campus (794 beds). Together, this represents one of the largest, most advanced medical centers in the world.
Each intern has a unique schedule based on the needs of the assigned work area. Your learning schedule includes eight-hour days, five days a week. Interns selected should expect to provide evening, weekend and holiday coverage.
While interns may request time away from work, the request may be denied at the discretion of the scheduler, or the intern may be required to work extra days to make up missed time.