The Nurse-Midwifery Clinical Rotations Program prepares you to provide professional nursing services with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention through patient education and counseling. Students are prepared to perform in an expanded role in the care of gynecologic and obstetric patients.
Clinical experiences and learning include:
- Comprehensive assessment of the health status of individuals and families
- Provision of counseling and teaching in areas of health promotion and disease prevention
- Collaboration with other health care professionals
Intensive clinical practicums include clinical rotations in obstetrics.
- Antenatal care focusing on low-risk healthy pregnancy
- Intrapartum care focusing on low-risk labor and deliveries
- Postpartum care focusing on the normal healthy postpartum
Low-risk gynecologic care and primary care are included in clinical rotations.
You rotate regularly between the outpatient clinic and the inpatient labor and delivery unit during your experience. During these clinical rotations, you may be under the supervision of qualified nurse-midwives, nurse practitioners and physician preceptors.
Our Nurse-Midwifery Clinical Rotations Program prepares you to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a health care team.
Grading or evaluation
Mayo School of Health Sciences uses evaluative tools that include:
- Demonstration of skills
- Debriefing exercises
- Case presentations
- Self-assessment exercises
- Faculty visits as set up by the college
- Involvement in evaluation tools provided by the college
Mayo's system of evaluation provides students and faculty with a comprehensive look at individual performance. This allows faculty and administrative staff to direct students who are experiencing academic difficulty to the appropriate support resources, including tutoring programs and counseling opportunities.
Mayo School of Health Sciences is committed to developing and maintaining the best education programs. The curriculum and other aspects of this program are assessed constantly and changed as necessary to ensure the highest quality training.