During the last year of your bachelor's degree program in medical laboratory science, you may participate in a six-month clinical rotation at Mayo Clinic's campus in Jacksonville, Florida.
Through our well-planned and supervised rotation, you gain experience in these key areas of laboratory science:
- Chemistry. The chemical analysis of blood and body fluids.
- Hematology and coagulation. The study of the cellular components of blood and the mechanisms of hemostasis (blood clotting).
- Serology and immunology. The detection, measurement and identification of antigens or antibodies produced by the immune system in response to the introduction of a foreign substance.
- Microbiology. The culture, identification and susceptibility testing of agents of infectious disease (viruses, parasites, bacteria and fungi) by traditional biochemical techniques and molecular methods.
- Immunohematology. The science and technology used to prepare blood products and determine suitability of blood products for transfusion.
- Urinalysis. The analysis of urine for cells, casts, protein, cholesterol and glucose to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of kidney disease, diabetes, urinary tract infections, stone formation and other diseases.
You can also complete enrichment laboratory rotations in histocompatibility, molecular pathology and the TEG lab.
Grading or evaluation
As you move through the Medical Laboratory Science Clinical Rotation, you are evaluated in each clinical area by the clinical instructors.
Mayo School of Health Sciences uses these evaluative tools:
- Assessment of cognitive knowledge
- Assessment of technical skills
- Assessment of affective behavior
Mayo's system of evaluation provides students and faculty with a comprehensive look at individual performance. This allows faculty and administrative staff to direct students who are experiencing academic difficulty to the appropriate support resources, including tutoring programs and counseling opportunities.
Mayo School of Health Sciences is committed to developing and maintaining the best education programs. The curriculum and other aspects of this program are assessed constantly and changed as necessary to ensure the highest quality training.