Two cohorts are accepted on a competitive basis each year into the Histology Technician Program. Classes begin in late August and early January. The August cohort is composed of four students at the Rochester, Minnesota, campus. The January cohort is composed of four students at the Rochester campus and one student at the Scottsdale, Arizona, campus.
In the application, you have the option to select where you prefer to do your clinical work (Rochester or Scottsdale). Rochester applicants will also select which start date they prefer (August or January), though appointment into your preferred start date is not guaranteed.
How to apply
Applications are accepted beginning Nov. 1. Your application and all supporting documentation must be received by Mayo School of Health Sciences by March 1 for both the subsequent August and January start dates. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Online application. Complete the online Application for Admission. After you create an account or log in, select Application for Admission. Do not select Lite Application.
Choose the following:
Mayo campus: Rochester or Arizona
Program type: Histology
Program name: Histology Technician Program
Start date (for Rochester applicants only): August or January
A nonrefundable $50 application fee is required and payable by credit card via the online application.
- Supporting documentation. As part of this application, you are required to submit:
An official transcript of all college and university credits. Do not submit high school transcripts. Transcripts must be received in the original sealed envelope from the school and can be submitted to:
Histology Technician Program
Mayo School of Health Sciences
Siebens Building, Fifth Floor
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
- A goal statement or personal essay based on the questions listed in the online application for admission.
- Three references (suggested sources include work-related, education-related and personal references). You need to provide the names and email addresses of your references as part of the online application. Those individuals are automatically invited to complete an online recommendation form.
- Interviews. Applicants considered for an appointment are invited to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, or Scottsdale, Arizona, for a personal interview in April with the program director and selected interview committee members. The interview process includes a behavioral interview, computer skills analysis, interaction with faculty members and a tour of the facility. It typically lasts three hours.
- Acceptance. Appointment letters are mailed in May. If you receive an appointment letter, your reply is expected within 10 days. Your appointment to the program is dependent upon successful completion of the health review and background check.