Two cohorts are accepted on a competitive basis each year into the Histology Technician Program. Classes begin in late August and early January.
The August cohort is composed of six students at the Mayo Clinic campus in Rochester, Minnesota. The January cohort is composed of six students at the Rochester campus and one student at the Mayo campus in Scottsdale, Arizona.
In the application, you have the option to select where you prefer to do your clinical work (Rochester or Scottsdale). Rochester applicants will also select which start date they prefer (August or January), though appointment into your preferred start date is not guaranteed.
How to apply
Applications are accepted beginning May 1.
Your application and all supporting documentation must be received by Mayo School of Health Sciences by:
- June 1 for the August 2016 cohort
- Aug. 1 for the January 2017 cohort
Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Online application. Complete the online Application for Admission. After you create an account or log in, select Application for Admission. Do not select Lite Application.
Choose the following:
- Mayo campus: Rochester or Arizona
- Program type: Histology
- Program name: Select from Histology Technician Program August (MN), Histology Technician Program January (MN) or Histology Technician Program (AZ)
- Start date (for Rochester applicants only): August or January
A nonrefundable $50 application fee is required and payable by credit card via the online application.
- Supporting documentation. As part of this application, you are required to submit:
An official transcript of all college and university credits. Do not submit high school transcripts. Transcripts must be received in the original sealed envelope from the school and can be submitted to:
Histology Technician Program
Attn: Jennifer L. Busch
Stabile Building, Room 3-64
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
- A goal statement or personal essay based on the questions listed in the online application for admission.
- Three references (suggested sources include work-related, education-related and personal references). You need to provide the names and email addresses of your references as part of the online application. Those individuals are automatically invited to complete an online recommendation form.
- Interviews. Applicants considered for an appointment are invited to Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, or Scottsdale, Arizona, for a personal interview in April with the program director and selected interview committee members. The interview process includes a behavioral interview, computer skills analysis, interaction with faculty members and a tour of the facility. It typically lasts three hours.
- Acceptance. Appointment letters are emailed. If you receive an appointment letter, your reply is expected within 10 days. Your appointment to the program is dependent upon successful completion of the health review and background check.