To apply to the Histology Technician Program, you must have verification of at least a 2.8 GPA on a 4.0 scale and successful completion of at least 36 semester hours of college-level course work with a strong track record in biology and chemistry.
Applicants must have obtained or will obtain an associate degree or higher upon completion of the program. Applicants have two options:
- Enter the program with an associate degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Earn an A.S. histology technician degree in partnership with Rochester Community and Technical College (see Rochester Community and Technical College's requirements to achieve an A.S. histology technician degree)
In addition, you must have completed courses with a C or better in these areas:
- Eight semester hours of biology (anatomy, physiology, histology and medical terminology highly recommended)
- Eight semester hours of chemistry
- Three semester hours of social science or humanities (such as psychology, sociology or ethics)
- Three semester hours of college math
- Three semester hours of English or a writing course
It is also essential that applicants have basic computer skills to meet the demands of the online curriculum.
U.S. citizenship or permanent immigrant status is required for admission to the Histology Technician Program.
Technical and essential functions
You must be able to perform the essential functions of the profession and meet the standards of the curriculum. Candidates seeking exceptions to these standards or reasonable accommodations should initiate their request with the program director.
See a complete listing of technical and essential functions required by the Histology Technician Program.
See further Mayo School of Health Sciences admissions policy information.